A 35-year-old man accused of abducting, assaulting and strangling his girlfriend at a home in Wilson Street, Ayr, will remain in custody until a trial later this year.

Jack Moodie appeared at Ayr Sheriff Court for a brief pre-trial first diet hearing. He faces allegations that he locked the doors of a property on March 4, preventing the woman from leaving, and detained her against her will.

The charge also alleges that Moodie removed the woman’s mobile phone. Prosecutors claim he then assaulted her by seizing her by the body and throwing her to the ground.

Allegations before Ayr Sheriff Court

The Crown’s indictment alleges that, while the woman was lying on the ground, Moodie placed his hands around her neck and compressed it. The charge states that this restricted her breathing and was to her injury and danger of her life.

The alleged conduct is further aggravated by an accusation of abuse involving a partner or ex-partner. Moodie is also accused of breaching bail orders connected to another woman.

That separate allegation relates to January 27, 2025, and claims he breached conditions not to approach or contact the woman or enter an address in Cowan Crescent.

Trial expected to last several days

Moodie is described in the court report as an inmate at HMP Kilmarnock. Defence solicitor John Gallagher told the court that Moodie had pleaded not guilty to the indictment and that counsel had been instructed.

Mr Gallagher also told the court: There are no special defences.

The Crown expects the trial, which is scheduled for later this year, to last between three and four days. Sheriff Siobhan Connelly told Moodie that he will remain on remand until the trial date.

The allegations have not been proved in court. The proceedings remain at the pre-trial stage, and the trial will provide the opportunity for the evidence to be examined.